Sunday, October 30, 2011

“When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.” --Marcus Aurelius

January: Nutrition and Health
February: Kindness and Generosity
March: Order and Purpose
April: Strength and Flexibility
May: Relationships
June: Adventure and Fun
July: Community and Environment
August: Knowledge and Interests
September: Sleep and Tranquility
October: Simplicity and Moderation
November: Gratitude and Positivity
December: Spirituality and Resolution


This month is about having a grateful and positive attitude. Even though I occasionally take it for granted, I really do have so much to be thankful for. Just last night we got home from a baby shower that my husband's old neighborhood hosted for us. Everyone was so warm and inviting, and I was overwhelmed with hugs, compliments, good food, and generous gifts. This shower is one of five baby showers that friends, family or coworkers have thrown for us. FIVE baby showers! Of course I am excited to get nice, new, much-needed things for our baby, but I mostly just feel very blessed that we have so many loving, supportive people in our lives. Even more, for 9 months I have had a happy, healthy pregnancy with no big discomforts, complications, or complaints. I'm married to my high school sweetheart and best friend, and he is equally excited to welcome our little boy into this world. We have a safe, comfy home and stable jobs with lots of vacation time. And when I take a minute to appreciate things like driving a new car or wearing a beautiful diamond ring, I would be crazy to not realize that I am either spoiled or very lucky.

This is not to say that things are always perfect, though. I was tossing and turning most of the night with stomach cramps and back aches, I was irritable this morning and seemed to focus only on the fact that my thighs seem to be growing at the same rate as my belly, I was late for work and had to rush to prepare for my first class, and I found myself stressing out about preparing for maternity leave and all the expenses of having a baby. I don't expect to be positive and grateful every second of every day, but I do know I need to work on having a better attitude and perspective, especially on days like today.

So this month, appropriately the same month as Thanksgiving, will be about remembering and celebrating that I have so much to be grateful for. I should never be waking up grumpy or dwelling on the things I wish were better, instead I should be rejoicing in the fact that I was given another day to live and enjoy. Telling people I appreciate them, finding the positive in every situation, and counting my blessings as I go to bed and wake up each day are simple things I plan to do this month.

“You simply will not be the same person two months from now after consciously giving thanks each day for the abundance that exists in your life. And you will have set in motion an ancient spiritual law: the more you have and are grateful for, the more will be given you.” — Sarah Ban Breathnach

No comments:

Post a Comment