Thursday, March 31, 2011

"Physical fitness is not only one of the most important keys to a healthy body, it is the basis of dynamic and creative intellectual activity." --JFK

January: Nutrition and Health
February: Kindness and Generosity
March: Order and Purpose

April: Strength and Flexibility

May: Relationships
June: Adventure and Fun
July: Community and Environment
August: Knowledge and Interests
September: Sleep and Tranquility
October: Simplicity and Moderation
November: Gratitude and Positivity
December: Spirituality and Resolution


In October, my best friend went to Hawaii for her honeymoon and brought me back a small souvenir. And when I say small, I mean really small. She bought me a Brazilian cut bathing suit. If you're not familiar with the Brazilian cut, it is basically somewhere between a thong and a regular bikini bottom. Am I the thong type? No. Do I appreciate that my friend thinks I would look good in this bathing suit? Yes. The picture below shows the butterfly bikini she got me compared to my regular bathing suit bottoms:

As you can see, the back is no bigger than the front, which presents a few problems. I think the bathing suit is fun and cute (and conveniently eliminates tan line issues), but I’m pretty modest and this suit demands attention to a specific area of the body. I think I'm like most women in that I slightly panic when I realize bathing suit season is near and the most recent exercising I've done is back and forth to the kitchen. I'm happy with my size and body, but by no means do I feel firm or confident enough to flaunt this thing around like I'm Kim Kardashian.

I promise I'm not busting this bikini out at a casual pool party or a family trip to the lake, but I did decide that I would consider wearing this in public if: a) I am on vacation at a nice beach and b) if I am in excellent shape. I just so happen to be planning a trip to Florida in June with my friend, so if I’m going to wear this bathing suit at any point in my life, this is the one time to do it! With 9 weeks left until my vacation, I need to get my butt in shape...literally, which brings me to the goal this month: strength and flexibility.

Although the bikini is motivating, it’s not just about looking good, and if it was then I would be off base from the whole purpose of this blog. I always want my posts to come back to how each goal and habit will benefit my mind, body, and soul. Exercising releases feel-good endorphins, helps with circulation, increases energy, is good for your heart, detoxes your body, and builds strength and flexibility that is important for a quality life. I DO NOT LIKE EXERCISING when I'm in the middle of it, but I love the empowered and elated feeling I get when the workout is over. There is really no denying that exercise is a crucial part of living a long, healthy life, and this month is all about jumpstarting the habit. My goal is to workout 5 days a week for at least 45 minutes. I'd like to push myself to do high intensity workouts (step, spin, weight classes), but on days when I need to mix it up or give my body a break, I will do low intensity workouts (walking, Yoga, crunches). I know, for a definite fact, that this is a lot easier said than done, so when I'm exhausted after work and avoiding the gym like the plague, it will be time for me to put on some Sisqo and use this bikini as my muse!

No comments:

Post a Comment